Spring in the Garden

Spring in the Garden

Monday 18 May 2009

My First Strawberry

This morning I ate my first strawberry for breakfast. It is the first of the strawberries we are growing this year and one of the Honeoye strawberries I am growing under my blueberries. It is also the first strawberry I have ever grown. It tasted delicious; sweet but also distinctly strawberry flavoured.

Unfortunately I didn't think to take a photo before eating it, but here is how the strawberries were looking a couple of weeks ago.


If you are interested I have posted about the Hampshire Green Fair here, on my Green and Generous blog, as it's not got a lot to do with gardening.

3 comments:

  1. Yummy!
    We have a couple of strawberries on the plants but they are still green. The difference in taste from home grown to shop bought is very distinctive, we did quite well with ours last year. This year I am hoping to raise more of my own plants from runners.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever tried growing strawberries in strawbales. I did and got enormous berries. Visit my site and you can find out more. Love your blog and I will visit again,
    Jan
    jansgourds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting idea, Jan. How are the strawberry plants? I can see the bales will have some goodness and hold plenty of moisture, but I'm wondering if there are enough nutrients to keep the plants going for a few years. At present we don't have anywhere suitable to try this out, but I will bear it in mind.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading your comments, it's always good to hear encouraging words or relevant hints and tips.