Spring in the Garden

Spring in the Garden

Sunday 8 March 2009

Two eggs a day

Betsy has been laying her eggs by half past eight, but when I went to check before going to work on Friday she was still sat in the nest box, so I asked daughter to check at lunch time, which she did. In my afternoon tea break I found a message saying that she had found two eggs, but one was a bit broken.

When I got home there was the new egg, with a little hole in the shell, looking very much like someone had pecked it with a pointy beak.













Perhaps Betsy wondered what it was when she went up to lay, who knows. It was smaller than Betsy's eggs have been of late and had a darker brown shell. We're pretty sure Robin is the new layer and her ear lobes are darker than those of the other two, although I don't know if that is a guarantee that she will have darker eggs. I was surprised, as she still seems quite immature compared to the other two, but then I still have a lot to learn about chickens.

In further news about eggs, Betsy laid an larger than usual one last Monday, and when I ate it today we found out it had a double yolk. Her eggs usually weigh 2 ounces (or 50g for younger readers). The one with a double yolk weighed 3 ounces (75g).


The picture shows Betsy's large egg next to her normal eggs. Betsy is an extremely good layer so far, having laid every day except one since she started.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading your comments, it's always good to hear encouraging words or relevant hints and tips.