Spring in the Garden

Spring in the Garden

Thursday 12 April 2012

Progress in the Veg Patch

So, it's been a few weeks since I've posted. I've been busy in the garden when time, weather and my energy levels have allowed. I seem to have been fighting one or two colds recently and I think losing Anna in the manner we did, and so soon, knocked me back a bit.

In the vegetable garden I sowed carrots almost three weeks ago, but there is no sign of germination yet, either because the seed has been washed away or the weather isn't warm enough for them.

I like to dig a trench for carrots filling it in with a mixture of sand and soil with the stones taken out.  In an ideal world I would sieve the soil. I'm growing the carrots next to the garlic in the hope that this will deter the carrot fly.




At the very end of March the Honeoye strawberry plants I had ordered at the end of February arrived so I planted them in the bed I had prepared for them.


I mulched them with Strulch yesterday. They have already put on a few more leaves.  To the right you can see I have planted thymes between the paving stones.



Yesterday I planted a variety of red onion sets called Karmen. The onions should have white flesh with red rings and be attractive in salads. They are in the sandy area to the right of the paving stones.  On the left the garlic is coming along nicely.




The broad beans are coming along nicely, although too much water could make them overly leafy apparently.  Not much I can do about that with the weather we are having at the moment.  Hubby has planted his peas behind the broad beans.



The potatoes have started to sprout and have been covered over.

In between times I've been tidying up the flower beds and planting more nectar rich plants for bees and butterflies.  I'll tell you more about that when I have a bit more time to spare.  I'm hoping to get more done in the garden tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about Anna - that's really sad, poor girl.

    Garden's looking great - look forward to seeing more!

    Kay :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kay. As you will see, it got sadder. We're hoping for a better run of luck with our chickens now.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading your comments, it's always good to hear encouraging words or relevant hints and tips.